After having their first three home games cancelled due to the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, the University of Houston-Victoria men's and women's soccer teams are ready for their home openers.
After playing their first five games on the road, the Jaguars are back home and ready to take to the pitch at The Cage on Thursday when they host the Paul Quinn Tigers in non-conference matches. The women hit the field at 1 p.m., followed by the men at 3:30.
The UHV women come into the contest with a 1-4 overall record and a 1-2 mark in Red River Athletic Conference play, while Paul Quinn is 2-5. While Paul Quinn is a member of the RRAC, they are ineligible for the conference tournament. Paul Quinn has lost all three contests against RRAC opponents.
The Tigers have been outscored 29-15 this season as senior midfielder Amy Joya leads the offense with six goals and three assists. Joya is followed by freshman forward Genessis Garza with four goals, while freshman Kaitlyn Savitt has two goals and an assist.
Meanwhile, the Jaguars are coming off a 1-1 week where they picked up their first win of the season, a 1-0 victory over LSU-Shreveport in conference play.
The Jaguars have scored at least one goal in every game except one this season, but have been outscored 12-4. Emily Lupton (SR/Preston, England), Lauren Leslie (JR/Banknock, Scotland), Yahajaira and Kaitlyn Finger (FR/Mansfield, TX) each have goals, while Jurnee Fernandez (JR/Fresno, CA) has two assists.
The Jaguars won the only meeting between the two schools with a 4-1 decision last year.
The UHV men come into the game riding a three-game win streak and are 4-1 on the season, while the Tigers are 2-6 on the year, having dropped their last two games.
Sophomore Jordan Hall leads the Paul Quinn offense with three goals, while freshman forward Henry Estrada has added two goals and two assists.
The Jaguars have an 8-3 scoring edge against their first five opponents and goalkeeper Palemon Plancarte (JR/Houston, TX) hasn't allowed a goal in his last three games. Plancarte, a two-time RRAC Defensive Player of the Week this season, has allowed three goals with 16 saves.
Espen Hansen (JR/Kristiansand, Norway) leads the UHV offense with two goals, while Brian Foulger (SR/Leighton Buzzard, England), Adrian Mendoza (JR/Houston, TX), Leonel Rivas (JR/Edinburg, TX), Cristian Garcia (FR/Houston, TX), Patrick Coto (FR/Houston-TX) and Sanad Jalajal (FR/Sugar Land, TX) each have one. Adrian Rodriguez (FR/McAllen, TX) has added two assists and Reece Hannigan (SR/Sutton Surrey, England) one.
UHV has won the only meeting between the two schools, 5-2 last season.
Following Thursday's matches, the Jaguars jump back into conference play on Saturday when they host the University of the Southwest.
GAME DAY NOTES:
- The UHV women have taken 52 shots this season, including 27 shots on goal, while Paul Quinn has put up 70 shots, including 65 on goal
- Paul Quinn goalkeeper Alexya Soto has 36 saves. UHV has utilized two goalkeepers the season with Amanda Bautista (SO/Houston, TX) recording 17 saves and Bianca Galindo (SR/Garland, TX) seven saves.
- The UHV men have outshot their opponents 30-26 in shots on goal, despite trailing 59-52 in shots. Paul Quinn has fired off 89 shots, including 79 shots on goal.
- Paul Quinn goalkeeper Gerson Herrera has recorded 45 saves and given up 22 goals.
- Paul Quinn has lost to RRAC foes Southwest, Texas A&M-Texarkana and Wiley College.
- Live stats from the games can be found at: http://www.dakstats.com/WebSync/Pages/Webcasts.aspx?association=10
- Games times for Saturday's games against Southwest are: noon for the women and 2:30 p.m. for the men.