The University of Houston-Victoria men's soccer team hopes to continue its balanced attack Thursday when the Jaguars face off against the LSU-Shreveport Pilots in a Red River Athletic Conference match in Shreveport.
The Jaguars hope to remain unbeaten in conference play when they face the Pilots in a 3:30 p.m. match at The Swamp.
The Jaguars (2-1, 1-0 in RRAC) come into the contest off a 2-0 victory over Houston St. Thomas in their RRAC opener. LSUS meanwhile comes into the contest with a 6-2 record and 0-1 in conference after a 1-0 loss to LSU-Alexandria in overtime.
The Pilots should provide a test for the Jaguars as one of their losses includes a 2-0 loss to William Carey (Miss.). William Carey took over the No. 1 ranking in the NAIA Men's Soccer Coaches Poll this week.
LSUS reestablished its soccer program this year after dropping it in 2012 after just three seasons. During that time the Pilots compiled a 34-32-1 record.
Junior forward Murry Cockburn leads the Pilots' attack with seven goals and 14 points this season, while junior midfielder Daniel Meza follows with four goals, four assists and 12 points. Senior midfielder David Martinez has added three goals and four ass sts to the attack that has seen eight different players score goals for the Pilots.
Freshman goalkeeper Yoran Van Houdt has allowed just three goals with 27 saves in compiling a 6-2 record in goal.
Five different players have each scored goals for the Jaguars through three games. Adrian Mendoza (JR/Houston, TX), Espen Hansen (JR/Kristiansand, Norway), Cristian Garcia (FR/Houston, TX), Patrick Coto (FR/Houston-TX) and Sanad Jalajal (FR/Sugar Land, TX) each have a goal for the Jaguars.
Twelve different players have put up shots for the Jaguars with Reece Hannigan (SR/Sutton Surrey, England) leading the way with six shots, followed by Adrian Rodriguez (FR/McAllen, TX) with five. Hansen, Coto and Garcia have each put up four shots, while Mendoza and Jalajal each have three.
In goal, Palemon Plancarte (JR/Houston, TX) has given up three goals, while recording nine saves in defending 18 shots on goal.
Following Thursday's match, the Jaguars will head to LSUA for a 3:30 p.m. match on Saturday before returning home for their home opener on Oct. 5.
GAME DAY NOTES:
- LSUS has won the only meeting between the two schools with a 1-0 victory in 2010, the first year for the UHV soccer program.
- LSUS has been out shot their opponents 109-57, including a 49-27 edge in shots on goal.
- The UHV men have been out shot by their opponents 38-36, but hold a 24-18 edge in shots on goal.
- Video for Thursday's game can be found at: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/lsus/
- Live stats for Thursday's game can be found at: http://www.dakstats.com/Websync/Pages/Webcasts.aspx?association=10
- Other RRAC action on Thursday includes: Houston St. Thomas at LSUA, Jarvis Christian at Our Lady of the Lake, Texas College at Huston-Tillotson and Wiley College at the University of the Southwest. Texas A&M-Texarkana is at Paul Quinn for a non-conference match.